Justin Hoffman joined Davis Martindale in 2012. He is a specialist in cross-border Canada-U.S. tax, international tax and estate planning. Justin’s practice focuses on developing innovative solutions to tax and estate planning needs of individuals and businesses working and living in Canada and abroad.
His excellence in the areas of financial, tax and estate planning have been demonstrated by his nomination as a finalist for Young Practitioner of the Year at the 2016 International STEP Private Client Awards. In 2019, Justin was awarded Top 20 Under 40, recognizing his success and innovation in advising professionals from around the world on the complexities of international business and taxation.
Justin is a strong believer in the importance of maintaining a strong community of tax professionals in Canada. He routinely presents at seminars for the accounting and legal community and supports the next generation through teaching Canadian income tax at Kings University in London, ON.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA)
- In-Depth Tax (Part 1, 2 & 3)
- International In-Depth Tax
- Licensed Certified Public Accountant – CPA (Illinois)
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
- Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP)
- Currently enrolled in the Masters of Science of Taxation Program, Goldengate University (U.S. Tax)
- Law of Trusts, Taxation of Trusts and Estate, Trust Administration, Trust and Estate Planning, STEP Canada
- BCom, Accounting and Economics, University of Alberta
Awards & Other Experience
- Top 20 Under 40 2019 Award Recipient
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- CPA Ontario Conference speaker on the topics of U.S. on U.S. Personal and Corporate Tax Planning
- STEP SWO Guest Speaker on “Seven Tax and Estate Planning Tips for Practitioners with Dual-Citizen Clients”
- Entrepreneurial CPAs of London Guest Speaker on “Did I Mention I’m An American, Tax Planning and Implications for U.S. Clients in Canada”
- Miller Thomson Ontario-Quebec Tax Summit Guest Speaker on “The Fundamentals of Canadian and U.S. International Taxation and How This Has Changed Structuring Considerations”
- Davis Martindale BLOG, January 31, 2019 – “A Recent U.S. Tax Reform Is Impacting Canadians Receiving Alimony”
- DFK Tax Newsletter – Spring 2019, “Don’t be Found GILTI”
- DFK Tax Newsletter – Fall 2017, “Transfer Pricing Penalties”
- DFK Tax Newsletter – Summer 2017, “Abating Penalties with the IRS”
- 2018 Volunteer of the Year, STEP Southwestern Ontario
- Finalist for STEP Young Practitioner of the Year (2016)
- DFK Tax Newsletter – Spring 2014, “Transferring IRAs and 401Ks to Canadian RRSPs”
- Gerald W. Owen Book Prize for Top Standing in the STEP Diploma Program
- Awarded Highest Score in Canada on the Taxation of Trusts and Estates Diploma Exam
- Awarded Highest Score on the Law of Trusts Diploma exam
- 2005 Governor General’s Academic Medal
Justin is a Board Member for STEP Southwestern Ontario and an FPSC Volunteer Exam Grader for the CFP Exam.
Justin is a scotch drinking, pipe-smoking, armchair philosopher with a keen interest in world history and classic literature. He is also a woodworking hobbyist and family man with three small children.